So, you are in Turkey, ready for new experiences and enthusiastic. Anyway, you will try every possible kebabs and Turkish delights. Go for something unusual. Stuffed mussels is a great start of gastronomic adventure.
Of course the safest way to enjoy mussels - is to go to a restaurant. But many Turks are buying mussels from street vendors. In the words of Anthony Bourdain "Nobody builds their business by the poisoning the neighbors." :)
Here and there you can find the guys with the round trays full of mussels. Turks themselves joke that nobody in the world does know and never will know two things: how the politics happens and where the street vendors take their stuffed mussels from.
But it is very tasty!
Only for you, my dear readers, I found a great recipe of stuffed mussels. Me myself was cooking with that instruction and succeeded. :) So, the recipe precisely works. Enjoy!
Calculation of stuffing rise: 1 teaspoon of rice for each mussel. Take rice, take a spoon, count the number of mussels and measure out the the appropriate amount of rice. Then measure out the other products observing the proportions.
For 2 cup of rice we take:
1 coffee cup olive oil
4 medium onions
1 tablespoon pine nuts
2 tablespoons dried currants (Kush uzyum - Turkish)
Half bunch of parsley, cilantro or dill
2 teaspoons dried mint
2 tsp salt
1 teaspoon spice mixture - ground cinnamon, black pepper, allspice, 1 sugar cube
1/2 cup white wine
Prepare the filling:
- Wash rice
- Finely chop the onion and greens
- Sauté the onions and pine nuts until golden brown in a half cup of olive oil, pour rice, mix
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water and evaporate water for about 10-15 minutes on low heat with the lid closed
- Add greens, dried currants, spices, sugar, salt, pour remaining oil, squeeze half a lemon.
- Leave to cool under the lid closed
- 30-35 large black shells fill by a handful salt and let stand for 1-2 hours
- Then they should be washed and scraped with a knife
- Then stick a knife into the crack of each shell and open it as a book
- There you will see kind of small hairs inside that need to be removed and rinse thoroughly
And the process itself:
- Stuff the mussels with rice and close shell tightly
- Put the mussels in a saucepan, pour 2 cups water, put theplate on the top of it to prevent it from opening
- Cook under the lid on medium heat
- Whwn you see that all the water is gone, pour half a glass of wine, cover with lid and cook for 10-15 minutes more
- Remove from heat and leave to cool under the lid
Now you may eat it! Bon appetit!